Professor at the University P. and M. Curie, Laboratoire Kastler Brossel
Member of the Institut Universitaire de France
ERC Starting Grant "HybridNet : Hybrid Quantum Networks"
Group Website : quantumnetworks.lkb.ens.fr
Bio : Prof. Julien Laurat received his PhD in 2004 at Laboratoire Kastler-Brossel, Paris, on the generation of continuous-variable entanglement. From 2004 to 2005, he worked with Ph. Grangier, on quantum communication with femtosecond pulses. In 2005, he was awarded an Outgoing Marie Curie Fellowship and spent two years at Caltech with Pr. H.J. Kimble, on the applications of atomic ensembles for quantum networking.
At LKB, Paris, he’s now leading experimental and theoretical researches to develop the scientific and technical abilities for the realization of quantum networks, with applications to the distribution and processing of quantum information. His works include the development of light-matter interfaces for quantum data storage, the characterization and manipulation of various non-classical states of light, and the implementation of networking protocols using these resources. His major achievements are : world record for EPR entanglement emitted by an OPO, first generation of optical Schrödinger cat state, demonstration of a segment of a quantum repeater, first demonstration of quantum memory for photonic entanglement and twisted light, generation of hybrid entanglement of light. In 2012, he was elected to the Institut Universitaire de France as a junior member and was awarded a Starting grant from the European Research Council.
A few recent papers :
- Storage and retrieval of vector beams of light in a multiple-degree-of-freedom quantum memory, Nature Communications 6, 7706 (2015)
- Optical synthesis of large-amplitude squeezed coherent-state superpositions with minimal resources, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 023602 (2015). Story in Phys.org.
- Demonstration of a memory for tightly guided light in an optical nanofiber, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 180503 (2015). Synopsis in APS-Physics. Coverage by Phys.org, PhysicsWorld. Press release by UPMC and CNRS.
- Remote creation of hybrid entanglement between particle-like and wave-like optical qubits, Nature Photonics 8, 570 (2014). Cover of Nature Photonics July issue. Press release.
- A quantum memory for orbital angular momentum photonic qubits, Nature Photonics 8, 234 (2014). Press release in french.
- Witnessing trustworthy single-photon entanglement with local homodyne measurements, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 130401 (2013).
ResearcherId : www.researcherid.com/rid/A-8542-2011
Our recent RSI paper : locking in optics made easy ! Microcontroller-based locking in optics experiments, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85, 123112 (2014).
Teaching M2 Photons and Atoms
- TD#1 : Two-level system. Correction notes for part 1 Correction notes for part 2.
- TD#2 : Absorption. Correction notes.
- TD#3 : Velocity selective Raman transitions. Correction notes.
Other teaching documents